The Universal UB121000-45978 is a 12-volt battery designed specifically for deep cycling. Ideal for use with a trolling motor, they’re also great batteries for general use powering 12v consumer electronics and onboard 12v systems.
Because this battery has a sealed design and uses AGM technology, it requires no maintenance over the course of its lifespan. Since this is a deep cycle battery, you’ll need to use it alongside a starter battery to crank your engines and other electrical equipment.
Weighing in at 63.93 pounds and measuring more than 12 inches from one end to the other, this is a very heavy battery. As such, it’s not the easiest battery on the market to mount in your boat or store discreetly inside your home.
- Designed and engineered specifically for deep cycling, with a 100AH rating guaranteeing an excellent storage capacity and functional lifespan for use with trolling motors and any other equipment that requires consistent energy at a low cranking current.
- This battery uses AGM technology to deliver better performance, faster recharging and a longer usage period. The use of AGM technology also means that this battery does not require the same maintenance as a lead acid battery.
- Discharges less than three percent of its storage capacity every month when standing unused.
- Built for use with trolling motors and other equipment that requires a deep cycle battery, as well as home solar panels. These batteries can be used on your boat, in an RV or as a power storage option for your home.
- Universal Power Group provides a one year warranty for all batteries, guaranteeing the UB121000-45978 against manufacturing defects for a period of 12 months from the date the battery was purchased for extra peace of mind.
The UB121000-45978 is an excellent battery for any equipment that requires deep cycling. As a power source for a trolling motor, it provides consistent energy with a much longer usage period than a dual purpose battery.
It’s also an extremely efficient battery. Designed using AGM technology, it discharges less than three percent of its total charge every month when standing, meaning there’s no need to charge it in between uses if it was fully charged when stored.
Since this is an AGM battery, it requires no maintenance. There is no need to add water to the battery, as you would with a lead acid battery. Instead, just connect it to your vehicle, motor or device and it’s ready to use as soon as it’s properly charged.
On average, it takes about 12 hours to charge the UB121000-45978 at 10 amps.
From a physical standpoint, this battery has a thick, acid proof plastic body. Although it’s not an easy battery to mount due to its weight, it feels durable and is built to withstand normal weather conditions. On average, each battery will provide three to five years of regular functional usage.
By far the biggest downside of this battery is its weight. At almost 64 pounds, it’s easily one of the heaviest batteries we’ve tested. This makes it difficult to mount and store inside your boat, car or other vehicles, as well as a minor annoyance to store inside your home.
The Universal UB121000-45978 is a good quality deep cycle battery that works well as a power source for a trolling motor or as an electricity storage battery. With its thick exterior casing, one year warranty and very fair price, this battery is a good buy overall.
It’s important to note that because this is a deep cycling battery, you will not be able to use it to start motors and other mechanical equipment. For this, you will need a starter or dual purpose battery.