The Optima Batteries 8052-161 D31M BlueTop is a dual purpose battery designed to facilitate both starting and deep cycling. It has a total reserve capacity of 155 minutes and a significant 900 cold cranking amps of starting power, making it an impressively powerful battery.
Optima also makes the 8016-103 D34M — a smaller dual purpose battery we reviewed earlier and consider one of the best dual purpose batteries available. The 8052-161 D31M is a larger group 31 battery that packs more power and a larger capacity than its smaller counterpart.
Weighing in at 59 pounds (compared to 43.5 lbs for the smaller D34M battery) the D31M is a large battery that requires a reasonable amount of space. Despite this, it’s easy to mount in a boat, RV or on any mechanical equipment that requires a reliable dual purpose battery.
- Rated at 900 cold cranking amps and 75 AH, giving it more than enough power to start equipment in even the coldest, most challenging weather. It also has an 1125 A of marine cranking amps, recorded at 32°F.
- With a 155-minute reserve capacity (as measured at 80°F and 25 amps), this battery is long lasting and ideal for deep cycling. Compared to the smaller 8016-103 D34M, it has an extra 35 minutes of reserve capacity.
- With a thick polypropylene exterior, this battery is extremely rugged and durable. It’s also easy to mount in almost any location on your boat or inside your RV, with a design that’s protected from spills and vibration.
- Optima claims this battery is 15 times more resistant to vibration than other batteries from competing brands — something we believe thanks to its thick, durable exterior.
- This battery comes with a two-year warranty, protecting you from defects for a full 24 months from the date of purchase. Optima will provide a free replacement battery if it stops functioning properly during the first 24 months.
Designed to do everything, the Optima Batteries 8052-161 D31M BlueTop is a high-quality dual purpose battery that combines modern technology with a rugged exterior, a large max reserve capacity and plenty of starting power.
One of the biggest advantages of this battery is its starting power. The 8052-161 D31M BlueTop has 900 cold cranking amps, giving it more than enough power to start a large outboard motor in very little time.
This is also an excellent deep cycle battery. With a reserve capacity of 155 minutes, it’s built to work well with a trolling motor and provide consistent, reliable performance without letting you down. It also charges quickly and tolerates three times as many recharges as similar batteries.
Finally, the 8052-161 D31M BlueTop has one of the most rugged exteriors of any battery we’ve tested. With a thick plastic casing, this battery is 15 times as resistant to vibration as most other dual purpose batteries. It’s even sold with a two-year warranty for total peace of mind.
Like all batteries, the 8052-161 D31M BlueTop has both pros and cons. The biggest drawback is its size and weight — at more than 12 inches in length and 10 inches in height, this is a large and heavy battery that is recommended for larger boats that truly need the power.
There’s also some risk of overcharging and damaging the 8052-151 D31M BlueTop, due to its use of AGM technology. If you’ve never charged this battery before, follow the instructions as closely as possible to make sure you don’t put it at risk.
The 8052-161 D31M BlueTop is a powerful dual purpose battery that delivers great performance and useful features like vibration resistance, all at a good price. If you’re searching for a reliable, powerful battery for your boat, this is one of the best you’ll find.